Sunday, June 23, 2013

It's Glenn Danzig's birthday

What can I say about Danzig that hasn't been said?  The man created a genre of music that we now call horror punk.  When you can honestly say you created a genre of music, you can claim legendary status.
When Glenn quit the Misfits and formed Samhain, then energy was there, the drums and rhythm got a bit more complicated, and the stage was set for the band that still carries his name.  The first Danzig album is the first album I ever bought in CD format (and still have it!).  I was (am) blown away by the mix of speed, power, tempo, and time changes.  Danzig got a little off task in my opinion when the original lineup left and Blackacidevil 5 was released; but I think over the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th albums, he has gotten closer to that feeling from the first four records.  Recently I listened to all the albums again (not the 5th one).  Still unreal.
So wish Glenn a happy birthday today, crank up whatever you want, whether it's Misfits, Samhain, or Danzig, and GIVE THANKS, that you get to hear it.



No comments:

Post a Comment